Posted by ws1 on:
While taking photos around the mesa, we saw a distinct shift in the wind (and smoke from a northeasterly direction to a westerly direction (over Santa Barbara City). Scroll down for pictures.
**We will continue to update this post as the fire progresses** (see below)
Here's the latest we've been hearing on the Jesusita Fire:
- Wednesday morning fire press conference indicated that fire crews are making progress on the fire. Fire Chief says he is "cautiously optimistic"
- The fire started around 1:45 pm and has burnt approx 500 acres above below Cathedral Peak, above Ontare and Foothill roads (updated 1:05am 05/06/09).
- All areas, schools and roads north of Foothill road are under mandatory evacuation orders (approx 1200 homes). No vehicles are being allowed into the evac area (even for pet rescue).
- The Red Cross has set up a shelter at 21 E. Constance St. in Santa Barbara.
- Household Pets can be taken to the Humane Society. Larger pets can be taken to Earl Warren Showgrownds.
This post will be updated and added to throughout the evening.
Here are some of the latest HEADLINES about the fire:
Road Closures (City2)
Jesusita Fire News (Noozhawk)
Santa Barbara Jesusita Fire Update (Craig Smith)
Wind Fueling Jesusita Fire (Independent)
County of Santa Barbara page (www.countyofsb.org/)
Here is a great Google Map of the Evacuation Area as of 4:30pm.
-> Night Photos of:
Officials blocking off Los Olivos St at the Mission around 2:30. No residents were allowed in - even to get pets. Some folks were so angry that they decided to hoof it. After parking her car on constance, one woman who was walking in her work clothes towards the riviera yelled at the traffic officer, "HOW THE HELL THIS MORE SAFE THAN DRIVING!?"
Santa Barbara City College Students and Teachers Watching the Wind Change
Locals Watching the Jesusita Fire after (and before) surf sessions at the Pit.
Fire Picture from Loma Alta.
Another Shot From Loma Alta
Fire From SBCC during wind direction change.
More Photos: -> Night Photos of: