Posted by tracey on:
Life we go easier if you accept the following:
1. You will always be conflicted about the interaction of art and commerce.
2. You will never find a perfect balance between giving your audience "what they want" and leading them into different directions.
3. There will never be enough money.
4. Organizational politics will always be a part of your life. That's true even if you create the art alone. You'll probably need to partner with others to get that work seen, which means working with organizations, which means dealing with politics.
5. No matter how you do things someone, probably someone close to you, will think you are doing it wrong.
6. Somone will tell you, "it's ok to fail" and then go nuts when you actually do fail. That is their problem, not yours.
7. You will always need to manage your own artistic career. You can have helpers, managers, etc. but you always need to be the CEO of You, Inc.
via Mission Paradox