Posted by rflacks on:
kcsb, Santa Barbara's campus/community free radio voice, is now in its annual membership/fundraising mode. It's been at 91.9 on the dial for nearly 40 years, broadcasting 24/7. it's programming is as diverse, free wheeling and non-corporate as anything you'll hear anywhere in the US. And virtually all of the work is done by scores of student and community volunteers. KCSB needs community financial support to supplement the budget it gets from UCSB students.
I've been doing my weekly show, Culture of Protest, at KCSB for more than 27 years. If you've never tuned in, I hope you will (and you can get it streaming on line at www.kcsb.org at 6 PM PST Thursdays). As usual, I'm hoping you'll make a contribution and I'm offering cd's of several of the most requested recent culture of protest programs as thanks. You can make a pledge by sending me an email at rflacks@igc. org. providing your name, address, phone and donation amount. The basic membership levels are $25 for UCSB students and $50 for non-students. For a basic pledge, you can request one of the following:
- THE POLITICS OF THE WIZARD OF OZ (a 2 hr broadcast featuring the work of Yip Harburg, blacklisted lyricist for the Wizard of Oz movie, Finian's Rainbow, Buddy Can You Spare a Dime)
- ANI DIFRANCO (Our exclusive interview with Ani, and a selection of her songs)
- SONGS FOR HARD TIMES I (songs from the thirties and today about bankers, foreclosures, depression and hard times in general)
- SONGS FOR HARD TIMES II (and more of the above)
- LABOR DAY 2009 (songs about workers and their movement, including a musical remembrance of the SF general strike 75 years ago)
You can have 2 of the above for a $75 donation, 4 for $100. Please include your name, address, phone, pledge request. Or call me when Culture of Protest is on the air: 6-7 pm PST Thursday 11/4 and 11/11 (I'll be pitching twice during the fund drive). Thanks!!!!!