Posted by paulrivas on:
Here are the 10 pieces of advice (paraphrased) that Bill Bryson shared with all those suckered by UCSB Arts & Lectures into paying $20 to hear a writer tell a couple stories and hear a bunch of superfans ask a lot of stupid questions. Bryson said the items were adapted for an American audience from a commencement speech he'd given in England a couple years ago. Bill Bryson's a nice guy, and Rivas Cultural Services enjoys his books, but the lecture circuit is patently not his forte. This closing advice was the highlight of the evening.
1. Take a moment to remember you are alive.
2. There are 6 billion other people out there. Don't think yourself special.
3. Kill people who don't say thanks to those who hold doors open for them.
4. Be good and say thank you.
5. Try stuff.
6. Don't surprise someone from behind.
7. Be modest.
8. Always buy all my books in hardback.
9. Stop complaining.
10. Never go on too long.