SANTA BARBARA, CA - At approximately 7:15pm the Santa Barbara City Fire Department responded to a report of smoke in an apartment on Oceano Ave. The first engine on scene discovered a working fire in a second story unit. Three engines, the truck company and a battalion chief responded and had the fire extinguished within 10 minutes of the first report.
After an investigation by the City Fire Investigator it was determined that the fire started in the kitchen area. The cause is classified as accidental but most likely the result of a malfunctioning refrigerator.
There were no injuries as a result of the fire however an occupant was transported to the hospital with a complaint of chest pain after exiting the apartment.
The Santa Barbara City Fire Department would like to remind everyone that it is important to inspect all old appliances for signs of potential malfunction.
Tagged: santa barbara news, fire department, fire, structure fire, oceano ave, 111 oceano ave, santa barbara fire department