Posted by BirdmanDan on:
Score 20 of 25 and You Are An “Honorary Santa Barbara Native” (even if you weren't born in SB!).
(Answers are at the end, so don’t peek!)
1. The town of Santa Barbara sits between the Pacific Ocean and what range of mountains?
A. Santa Barbara Mountains
B. Santa Ynez Mountains
C. Chumash Mountains
D. Cachuma Mountains
2. The climate of Santa Barbara is classified as:
3. A common nickname for Santa Barbara is:
A. The Sunshine Town
B. The American Riviera
C. The Western Shangri-La
D. The Ocean Town
4. Santa Barbara is located about 90 miles in what direction from Los Angeles?
5. What is the total size of the city of Santa Barbara?
A. 14.9 square miles
B. 41.4 square miles
C. 230 square miles
D. 411.2 square miles
6. The architectural image of Santa Barbara that was adopted after the 1925 earthquake damaged the downtown commercial district is known as:
B. Modern Hacienda
C. Spanish Colonial Revival
D. Mexican Adobe
7. According to the 2010 census, how many people live in the city of Santa Barbara proper?
8. What is the name of the area of Santa Barbara along the ocean between Santa Barbara City College and Arroyo Burro Beach (Hendrys Beach)?
A. The Mesa
B. The Bluffs
C. Ocean Top
D. Santa Barbara Del Mar
9. What is the name of outdoor amphitheater on Santa Barbara’s East Side (east of State Street)?
A. Downtown Amphitheater
B. Rocky Park Bowl
C. The Stage
D. Santa Barbara Bowl
10. What is the name of the pier extending out in to the harbor at the end of State Street?
A. Santa Barbara Pier
B. The Harbor Walk
C. Stearns Wharf
D. The Promenade
11. Which location below is not a Santa Barbara performing arts venue?
A. Arlington Theatre
B. Granada Theater
C. Santa Barbara Theater
D. Lobero Theater
12. What is the architectural style of the red-tiled Santa Barbara County Courthouse?
A. Mexican Revival
C. Gothic Hacienda
D. Colonial Modern
13. What is the name of the Spanish military installation constructed in 1782 and now restored as a tourist attraction?
A. The Fort
B. The Mission Fort
C. The Presidio
D. The Spanish Outpost
14. Every August Santa Barbara celebrates what annual festival which was originally known as Old Spanish Days?
A. The Spanish Festival
B. Santa Barbara Street Festival
C. Summer Celebration Santa Barbara
D. The Spanish Fiesta
15. What is the name of the quirky annual summer parade that is seen by up to 100,000 people as it follows State Street for about one mile?
A. Summer Solstice Parade
B. Santa Barbara Expression Parade
C. Summer Celebration Festival Parade
D. Santa Barbara Fun Parade
16. What famous surfing spot is located just south of Santa Barbara?
C. El Capitan
17. What quaint downtown plaza was home Santa Barbaras first City Hall and is now home to the Santa Barbara News Press?
A. De La Guerra Plaza
B. Castillo Plaza
C. Saint Barbara Plaza
D. Carrillo Plaza
18. What is the name of the well-known watering hole that began as a stagecoach stop in 1865 and is located about 20 minutes north of Santa Barbara near the top of the mountain range?
A. Cachuma Rest Stop Bar
B. Santa Barbara Mountain House
C. Cold Springs Tavern
D. Mission Canyon Brew House
19. What is the name of the Museum located right behind the Santa Barbara Mission?
A. The Santa Barbara Museum of Art
B. The Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
C. Contemporary Art Museum of Santa Barbara
D. Western Museum of Modern Art
20. What park covers an entire city block in the downtown area of Santa Barbara and includes a koi pond, gazebo and meandering paths?
A. Alameda Park
B. Parma Park
C. Skofield Park
D. Alice Keck Park
20. What is the name of the Native Americans that inhabited the Santa Barbara region previous to any foreigners arriving?
21. Which one of these is Not a Santa Barbara beach?
A. Leadbetter Beach
B. Butterfly Beach
C. Fleming Beach
D. More Mesa Beach
22. What high mountain peak looks over Santa Barbara?
A. Montane Peak
B. Rincon Peak
C. Los Padres Peak
D. La Cumbre Peak
23. How tall is the aforementioned Santa Barbara mountain peak?
A. 2,494 feet
B. 3,995 feet
C. 4,290 feet
D. 4,867 feet
24. The Santa Barbara Mission is known as the
A. Grand Mission
B. The Oldest Mission
C. Mission St. Barbara
D. Queen of the Missions
25. Which of the following regions is Not considered to be part of Santa Barbara Wine Country?
A. Happy Canyon
B. Sisquoc Canyon
C. Santa Ynez Valley
D. Santa Rita Hills
The Santa Ynez Mountains and the Northern Channel Islands (San Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz and Anacapa) are part of what mountain range system.
A. The Transverse Ranges
B. The California Coastal Ranges
C. The Southern Sierra Ranges
D. The Los Padres Mountain Ranges
Answers: 1.B 2.D 3.B 4.C 5.B 6.C 7.B 8.A 9.D 10.C 11.C 12.B 13.C 14.A 15.A 16.D 17.A 18.C 19.B 20.C 21.C. 22.D 23. B 24. D 25. B
Bonus Question: A. The mountain ranges get the name “Transverse Ranges from their East-West orientation which is “transverse” to the typical North-South orientation of most of the other coastal mountain ranges of California.
For Santa Barbara Wine Country information please see www.wineriessantabarbara.com